Anbaric Development Partners delivered over 400 letters from Massachusetts residents to Secretary of the Energy and Environmental Affairs Rebecca Tepper supporting the development of an ocean grid to connect offshore wind farms to shore.
REPORT & PANEL DISCUSSION
Building a New Era of Offshore Wind
The Brattle Group released a report titled Offshore Transmission in New England: The Benefits of a Better-Planned Grid, underscoring the pivotal role of transmission policy in the development of New England’s offshore wind industry.
According to the report, onshore electric grid cost savings of over $1 billion and significantly reduced environmental impacts can be achieved by adopting a multi-user, planned transmission system to harness wind power off New England’s coast.
The Brattle Group presented their findings in a virtual panel discussion with Tufts University and the Responsible Offshore Science Alliance on May 14th. A recording of the panel discussion, as well as access to the report and technical appendices from General Electric and CHA, can be downloaded on this page.
Panel discussion topics included:
- How can Massachusetts and New England most effectively scale its ocean resource?
- What policies do we need now to jumpstart the industry after the profound impact of the Covid-19 epidemic
- Offshore wind status update
- Grid integration challenges
- Lessons learned from Europe
- Findings from analysis by the Brattle Group and Tufts related to offshore transmission
- Next steps for the offshore industry